FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE GLOBAL YOUTH AMBASSADOR PROGRAM?
The purpose of the program is to equip you to be a long-term change maker. Often, programs are constructed to work with you after you have the skills and experience. We want to work with young leaders who know their time is now: they are willing to make the effort and commit to gaining skills and experience today, not when "they grow up!" We do this by helping you grow as a leader, allowing you to experience first-hand what life is like for the less fortunate and then helping you share with others what you have learnt. The program is fundraising-based: people who support you are investing in you to achieve the goals outlined.
is parental consent required to take part?
The GYA Program requires all applicants under 18 years old to receive approval from a parent or legal guardian before starting the program.
HOW OFTEN ARE PROGRAMS RUN?
Though our international partners run year-round, our Travel Programs are run are varying times throughout the year. This is because we try to schedule them to fit into school holidays and different times of the year were young people are best able to travel. The same is true with our Leadership Conferences.
We are open to adding dates if you have a group that wants to travel at a certain time in the year. Because our partners are always operating, we do have the flexibly to add dates for custom trips.
I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED AS A GLOBAL YOUTH AMBASSADOR, WHAT'S NEXT?
It's time to start your journey! For most, this means Launching a Fundraising Page and raising funds to either Travel or Train with us in the upcoming year. If you need help understanding what fundraising is, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org so she can send you some tips to get you started!
If you already have your page set up, then you are able to Secure Your Spot on one of our International Experiences! Just make sure you have USD $250 on your page. Send our team an email and we will lock in your placement.
I'M CONCERNED ABOUT HOW MY INVOLVEMENT WILL IMPACT MY SCHOOL WORK.
The Global Youth Ambassador Program is designed for you to work on outside of school. The online training can be completed at your own pace and we try to schedule the international trips during school or university holidays.
How do I know GYA Program and GVN Foundation are reliable?
GVN Foundation has been operating for 14 years and we have placed over 20,000 volunteers abroad. We have raised over $2.5 million for community projects and have been recommended by CNN, Idealist, and were a Top-Rated Non Profit in 2012 & 2013. We also hold Special Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
Our 501(c)(3) registration is EIN: 20-3087760.
HOW MANY YOUTH PROGRAMS HAS THE GYA PROGRAM AND GVN FOUNDATION COMPLETED?
The Global Youth Ambassador Program working with GVN Foundation have over:
- 6 years leading specialized youth volunteer tours for teens and students
- 8 years running trainings, conferences and mentorship opportunities in social change and leadership
- 10 years of fundraising experience with over USD $2.5 million raised for our international partners
- 15 years placing volunteers internationally and working cross culturally with grassroots organizations in Africa, Asia, and the Americas
When we fundraise for the Youth Ambassador Program is it in US dollars?
The GVN Foundation is a U.S. registered 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization, so we have determined all costs in USD. If you would like to know what this means for you in your local currency, a currency converter can provide a rough estimate to the total cost for you.
Are flights included in the amount I need to raise?
No, your flights are not included in your tuition. This is for several reasons:
- We have found that many participants 18 or older like to extend their trips past the one-week. We certainly don't want to discourage our Youth Ambassadors from extending their experience but this results in various pricing for each group member.
- The GYAP started regionally with our Ambassadors mainly in New Zealand and Australia. We now have Youth Ambassadors representing the GVN Foundation from places around the world! This adds a lot to the diversity of our in-country experience, but it complicates the flight prices and planning.
- We've had several Ambassadors with opportunities to use frequent flier points or receive donations towards their flights, which enable them to participate and raise the funds in a different way.
How do I organize my flights then?
One option for organizing your flights is to use our Official Travel Partner, STA Travel.
As the world’s largest travel company for students, teachers and young people, STA Travel have over 35 years’ experience in organizing safe, secure and exciting trips all over the world. They are committed to helping you travel with a purpose at an affordable price, so we partner with them to provide you with the perfect flight option for your departure.
STA TRAVEL BENEFITS:
- One Stop Shop for Travel - A dedicated travel team, it’s easy to manage and coordinate your travel plans alongside your GYAP experience
- Over 35 Years’ Experience - The experience to take you to the most exciting places for less
- Well-Travelled, Passionate Staff - A team of Travel Experts trained to give you the best advice and offer firsthand experience
- Exclusive Low Airfares - Unique airline partnerships give you access to the lowest fares
- Global Travel Help - With hundreds of stores in over 60 countries worldwide there is an essential back up for all travelers on the move
Are donations to my GYA Fundraising Page Refundable?
Unfortunately, they are not. GVNF is required to meet and uphold the legislative regulations and federal tax requirements associated with 501(c)(3) registration. This means that once a donation is received it can only be used for a charitable purpose and cannot be refunded. However, there are some options you may choose from to determine how best to use the funds. See this page for more details.
Do you have any further fundraising ideas or tips?
Yes! Please check out the fundraising tab at the bottom of this page. Additionally, we have Cat, the human fundraising machine, who is excited to work with young leaders to reach their goals. You can contact her for help, ideas, or to hear about her time in Thailand with Numwat the miniature elephant, or how she once cried eating a hot pepper. Basically, she'll give you ideas, motivate you, and keep you entertained when you need a pick-me-up!
Can I collect funds in cash?
Yes! We know that bake sales or cards from Aunt Julie or Grandpa John don't always come in the form of a direct donation to your page. You are welcome to fundraise "offline". You can then transfer the funds to our non-profit bank account and we will credit the amount to your page. Contact us if you would like to do this.
Can I go on more than one trip?
Of course! We would love to have you travel multiple times with us or do both our Travel and Train programs!
There is no need to apply twice,once you are a part of the program you can start working towards whatever goals you want to set for yourself. We will be here to help you reach them.
I can't travel this year, what can I do in my role as an GYA?
Not a problem! Our trips and conferences are lined up for each year so you won't miss out! If you can't come this year, then we would love to support you in whatever way you need. You can start your fundraising now and get ready for the following year.
We can also help you work towards other goals! We have had Ambassadors participate in many community activities and groups and we love to offer support and help during their journey. Just contact us and let us know how we can help!
I'D LIKE YOU TO HOST A LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCE IN MY CITY/COMMUNITY, HOW DOES THAT WORK?
Wonderful! We embrace the 'think global, act local, start personal' concept and we've had some of our most successful conferences in locations where there has been a high level of engagement with local community members. In order to determine if coming to your community is possible, please email email@example.com and we'll do our best to make it happen!
I'm a business/group and I want to help, how do I get involved?
There are many things you can do to help us grow our program and further develop some of the brightest young minds in the world! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Count me in!" to discuss ways your organization can become an integral partner for our program